The spring of 2011 led me to see it. "What is this?" I said, "In my youtube recommended videos, PTEP06." Just one click changed my whole entire life. I don't know how it got there. It could be from the fact that my subscription box sang to the tune of NigaHiga, KevJumba, and WongFu Productions. YouTube probably "assumed" that I was Asian the way they assume all black people eat fried chicken and are on food stamps. That season, I had discovered Dpryde, an Asian Canadian rapper. That year I also discovered Taeyang. YouTube doesn't always get it wrong. I loved it. It was so different. It was something I had loved my whole but had never known of.
Soon PTEP06 turned into PTEP07 then PTEP08 and so on. How could something steal away all of my attention and not leave me feeling drained. Somehow, I finally realized the name of that majestic drama, Personal Taste. I would try to watch it everywhere, at school, but it was blocked. On my small pantech LED screen. I had never read so much in my life. I didn't mind the subtitles. The leading man was my dream guy and the guy I want as my best friend at the same time. The other guy was a total jerk yet also my dream guy at the same time. The leading female was so me. We had the same character traits, the same fashion sense, and the same back story. I had never experienced a connection like that with an American TV show. The episodes were so long but they were filling like a nice soup and not over powering like steak and potatoes. The weirdest part was looking back, it was really weird that I felt such a connection with a culture and language that I had NEVER experienced before. It's weird only because people say it is when really, millions of people around the world feel that connection with American shows like Fresh Prince and Friends. Why is it seen as weird for a black girl from America to enjoy watching the rollercoaster ride of a Korean Drama?
To be continued. . .
No comments:
Post a Comment