Wednesday, October 24, 2012

God's Quiz Season 1 Review


       Recently, I finished the amazing drama God's Quiz. I had been skeptical to watch it because of the title. I'm a Christian and I didn't want to watch anything blasphemous. Thankfully, hulu put it into my recommended shows. They know me so well. I loved it.

God's Quiz of the network OCN, is a non-traditional Medical, Crime, and Mystery Korean Television series. It perfectly marries the law and science throughout comedy and drama. 
The lead character is played by Ryu Deok-hwan. I could image no other actor playing this role. He is the perfect height, weight, age and has the perfect style, lips, smile. I tend to prefer guys of his style over guys with 12 packs and a ripped muscles. There's something so intriguing about a simple guy with a slender build and even more simply dressed(so basically the male version of me)


     I had seen the lead character Ryu Deok-hwan in the drama Faith staring Lee Min Ho, so for me, it was weird seeing him in kpop clothes.  

      From the jump, I realized that this was no ordinary drama. It took me a while to figure out that there would be no love connections but pure professional drama. The show starts out with the lead role being transferred to a crime morgue to help with autopsies. Though most of the emphasis is placed on Ryu's character, the supporting actors are very strong. It was very great to see the doctors already at the lab get to know Dr. Han Jin Woo's dramatic character. 
I also noticed that in most TV, the lead character and the comic relief are not always the same person, however in this drama, we see Dr. Han lighten the mood and just be himself.
This drama will keep or even steel your attention. There are no slow moments or filler episodes as the season is only 10 episodes long. The writers of this show are absolutely amazing. This is some of the best TV show writing I have seen anywhere.


          I couldn't help but notice the similarities that exist among God's Quiz and already established American TV shows. I have only seen CSI a few times but it was clear to see that CSI had to have been one of it God's Quiz's inspirations. I especially loved to see the dynamic between the characters Detective Kang Kyung Hee and Dr. Han Jin Wee. This reminded me so much of the relationship and show of Rizolli and Iles. Along with the way they solve murders, their playful bickering and perspective as one being a doctor and the other being a detective, gave me flashbacks of the show. Also, the way one character is overly trained in defense and the other too cute to be bothered with a threat made me see a parallel of the two shows. Perhaps it would be more appropriate to say their relationship more like Castle. . . I won't spoil it for you. :) I particular was fond of the contrast between the two characters with one having a carefree almost playful take on the world and the other with only a serious side. 

     Overall, each episode is entertaining and grabs the viewer. I love the fact that the show strives to portray a certain message to the viewer even sometimes literally. It's cool to see and hear  ideal, morals, and values. Likewise, it is interesting to see the Korean perspective of America whenever the topic arises. Everyone should give it a try.

That Drama Mamma


No comments:

Post a Comment