Sunday, October 21, 2012

Off Topic: Miss A's I don't Need a Man

This has nothing to do with drama. I apologize.  I thought this needed discussion.



(This Has Nothing To Do With Drama no.1
Miss A's new song just hit the Kpop charts on Eat Your Kimchi. Everyone has been commenting on their clothes and style but I think it's a great message for girls in Korea. I have heard countless stories of Korean women sucking their boyfriends dry or relying on their parents for an extensive amount of time. I grew up hearing songs like this from Destiny's Child, The Cheetah Girls, and Ne-yo. This is my first time hearing this kind of message from a Korean pop girl crew. HUH?(Gdragon voice). The beat itself to me sounds more like a Keri Hilson R&B Hip Hop track (what should I expect from JYP). The lyrics that stood out to me were
"I don't sell myself to anyone"
and also
"I don't want to spend my parent's money as if it's mine, I'm old enough, I should ask them if they want some money."

I feel these lyrics because so many women around the world will sit in a man's house and be their sugar baby and think nothing of it. This is something their community really struggles with it seems. 
I have never heard financial advice in a hip hop song but we can hear it in the rap sequence:
"My car, my clothes – I bought it all on my own I bought them after putting money into savings, after giving allowance to my parents"  have heard Kpop is good for you. 
The song also promotes happiness with yourself no matter what state you're in. Miss A doesn't make mention of their Black Cards and islands they own like we hear so often in American music. Instead of popping bottles, they feel proud that they paid their own rent. They even said they would rather live honorable and not have enough to eat than the live a comfortable lifestyle with their parents. This is the total opposite message of the normal millionaire rap star songs. This kind of songs speak to their audience. Instead of envying them for their money, they want you to desire their honorably, drive, and morals. They talk about maybe not being rich but still loving themselves.
This song motivates me. I honestly can't say all of those lyrics proudly. I don't wake up early, I still live with my parents, and I am living comfortably in their middle class home. It motivates me not to sulk in disappoints but to rise above it all. Don't get me wrong. I'm no trust fund baby. My parents don't buy my clothes and I'm paying for my own gas and school. 
Am I reading in to much into this Kpop hit? Let me know in the comments below ?

No comments:

Post a Comment